I am now going to reflect on an English past time which should be called an English all the time, the art form of drinking tea. I think I can single handedly blame tea consumption on the UK's inability to outperform the US in productivity. Tea time is a common misconception, every minute is tea time. Every ten minutes at the firm someone around me will call out, "Everyone ok for drinks?" The answer is never yes. The answer is always, "Well, I could use a cup of tea." This answer comes from everyone and was the answer 10 minutes ago and so on and so forth. Paper tea cups line their desks, tea bags fill the trash cans, and reports go unfinished because...gasp, we haven't had tea in 15 minutes - the shame, the blasphemy, the horror.
After witnessing this mass consumption of tea, it forces one to ponder several items.
1) Has the English bladder somehow evolved to take on this much tea? No one ever seems to go to the "loo" except for me, new to the game of binge tea drinking.
2) The Boston Tea Party must have been more than a protest to the Brits, but a complete tragedy. There was probably wailing in the streets, clothes torn in mourning, and possibly sipping from the surrounding waters from the loyalists.
3) Will I upon my arrival back in the US suffer some sort of massive caffeine withdrawal where I might need to check into the Betty Ford of tea drinkers just to survive?
Maybe a cup of tea will help me find the answers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment