Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Walking is good for you and your dog

In my quest to be more environmentally friendly, fit and frugal, I've taken to walking just about anywhere possible. Of course this is easy in a city like Savannah, which was designed for walkers and horse and buggy. How do you continue this in a city that wasn't designed for this and in fact has a mentality of drive or die?

I was passed this wonderful website (http://walkscore.com/) which helps calculate the walking score of your neighborhood. Simply type in your address and walk score will find close restaurants, schools, libraries, etc. I think it is going to be a really great tool for me to use once I relocate, and if any of you are looking to do the same, I highly suggest you consider moving to a walking friendly neighborhood. Savannah has spoiled me forever. Down with the car...walking is the new black.

PS - My address in Savannah received a score of 95 out of 100. What did your address score?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My new duplex in Dallas (lower Greenville area) scored 80 out of 100. However, I'm not about to walk by myself down Ross or Munger, at any time of the day! Greenville Ave and Abrams I can do, though. :)