Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Gay Design

I thought I was being helpful. I thought that I was helping influence the path of someone's life. I thought wrong.

This scene took place at a college fair in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Sadly, I did not realize the full magnitude of this conversation until hours later.

Brooke (directed to young 17 year old boy): Are you interested in anything particular?

Youth: Um, well, I guess I'm just looking around.

Brooke: Well feel free to take anything on the table. Hmmm...maybe industrial design? Or maybe you'd be interested in sequential art? No, game design...yeah I think you would like game design. Did you know we have a major for game design?

Youth: I'm not gay...(walks away, nervous, head down).

Brooke: Game designers aren't gay. (Perplexed look on Brooke's face)


It wasn't until hours later that I realized this is what the kid heard.


Brooke (directed to young 17 year old boy): Are you interested in anything particular?

Youth: Um, well, I guess I'm just looking around.

Brooke: Well feel free to take anything on the table. Hmmm...maybe industrial design? Or maybe you'd be interested in sequential art? No, gay design...yeah I think you would like gay design. Did you know we have a major for gay design?

Youth: I'm not gay...(walks away).

Brooke: Gay designers aren't gay. (Perplexed look on Brooke's face)


Yes so instead of being helpful, this poor kid walked away thinking that I was outing him at a college fair. I must admit, it is pretty funny because...gay designers are gay...duh.

1 comment:

www.daniellekimzey.com said...

That's a great gay story. Right now he's probably tearing his jeans and not showering to prove his manliness.
Or just eating a lot of chicken.